It's November, still two weeks from Thanksgiving AND IT. IS. SNOWING.
UGH. With this weather, brings on some of the best comfort food known to man.
Something, that I have found over the years that is easy to make lighter/healthier versions of, is soup. So that is what I have made for this miserably cold day.
It is an alternative recipe to Olive Gardens Italian Zuppa.
Serving size about 1 1/2 cups-Fat 6.7g-carbs 18g-protein 38g
4 slices Center Cut Low Sodium Bacon, Chopped (or cut with scissors)
1/2 cup turkey sausage crumbles or 3 turkey sauce links, removed from casing
1 Medium white onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 Large russet potatoes
3 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup Half and Half
1 package of extra lean ground turkey
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Brown turkey in pan.
2. In a soup pot, cook bacon pieces until crispy; remove from pan and let cool on paper towel
3. Sauté onions and garlic in bacon grease, in the same soup pot.
4. Peel and cube potatoes
5. Add chicken broth to pot.
6. Add potatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to pot; bring to a boil and then let simmer
7. Add half & Half, turkey and spinach.
8. Cook until potatoes are tender.
9. Top with bacon bits & (not included in macros) mozzerella cheese.